Parent Involvement Policy
CHACKBAY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
CHACKBAY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
2016-2017 Parent Involvement Plan
“Parental Involvement” means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities
GOAL: To enhance the instructional program and academic achievement of students at Chackbay Elementary
School by involving parents in all aspects of the school’s activities.
OBJECTIVE: The administration, faculty, and staff will provide a variety of programs to promote parental
involvement and engagement to improve the academic performance of students.
Documentation of these programs will include sign-in sheets, copies of the monthly school
calendar, and school visitations.
Part 1: NCLB Parental Involvement Assurances:
Chackbay Elementary School will adhere to the following NCLB Parental Involvement,
Section 1118, Federal Program Assurances ……
- The school will be governed by the statutory definition of parental involvement, and will carry out programs, activities, and procedures in accordance with the definition outlined in Section 9101(32), ESEA;
- Involve the parents of children served in Title I, Part A in decisions about how Title I, Part A funds reserved for parental involvement are spent [Section 1118(b)(1) and (c)(3)];
- Jointly develop/revise with parents the school parental involvement policy and distribute it to parents of participating children and make available the parental involvement plan to the local community [Section 1118 (b)(1)];
- Involve parents, in an organized, ongoing, and timely way, in the planning, review, and improvement of programs under this part, including the planning, review, and improvement of the school parental involvement policy and the joint development of the schoolwide program plan under section 1114(b)(2) [Section 1118(c)(3)];
- Use the findings of the parental involvement policy review to design strategies for more effective parental involvement, and to revise, if necessary, the school’s parental involvement policy [Section 1118(a)(E)];
- Inform parents and parental organizations of the purpose and existence of the Parental Information and Resource Centers (PIRC) in Louisiana;
- If the plan for Title I, Part A, developed under Section 1112, is not satisfactory to the parents of participating children, the school will submit parent comments with the plan when the school submits the plan to the local educational agency [Section 1118(b)(4)];
- Provide to each parent an individual student report about the performance of their child on the state assessment in at least mathematics, language arts, and reading [Section 1111(h)(6)(B)(i)];
- Provide each parent timely notice when their child has been assigned or has been taught for four (4) or more consecutive weeks by a teacher who is not highly qualified within the meaning of the term in 34 CFR Section 200.56 [Section 1111(h)(6)(B)(ii)]; and
- Provide each parent timely notice information regarding their right to request information on the professional qualifications of the student’s classroom teachers and paraprofessional [Section (h)(6)(A)].
Part II: Six Types of Parental Involvement:
Chackbay Elementary School will utilize the Six Keys to Successful Partnerships to foster
Parent: Parenting Skills are promoted and supported. Chackbay Elementary School will:
- Post monthly newsletters and other informative material regarding responsible parenting and involvement with education on our school webpage mylpsd.com
- Teacher and counselor will give parents the opportunity to borrow materials for review or assistance with resources.
- The counselor can provide information about private referral sources. This information is disseminated to families as needed.
- The school will host parent meetings on a variety of topics.
Communication: Communication between home and school is regular, two-way, and meaningful.
- The Parent Involvement Program at Chackbay Elementary School, developed by staff and parents, includes program practices that enhance parent involvement and reflects the specific needs of Chackbay Elementary School students and their families.
- The Parent Involvement Plan is comprehensive, coordinated and inclusive. Parent Involvement roles are varied.
- Communication between home and school is regular, two-way and meaningful. To encourage communication with parents, Chackbay Elementary School will:
Prepare and distribute information packets to each Chackbay Elementary School family describing:
- Post Compact for Achievement for each grade level focus
- Chackbay Elementary School Parents Involvement Plan/Program
- The various ways parents can volunteer at Chackbay Elementary School
- Planned parent involvement opportunities
- Parent communication methods singed and checked daily with planners that include assignments and notes daily
- The role of parents, teachers, and students. This information is also available in
Student’s agenda /daily planners.
- Parent volunteer and interest surveys
- PTC meetings
- PTC membership form and invitation to join
- Updated parent information is posted to our school website
- Family Engagement On Demand website and directions given to parents to sign up for resources and videos com/lafourche or text LafourcheES16 to 96000
Two-Way, Meaningful Communication Methods:
- Weekly communication folders are sent home to parents containing student work for parent comment and review along with other school information.
- The Parent Internet Website provides instant access for parents to view their student’s grades, attendance, lunch account information and access tutorial help on the district’s web-site:
- PTC, in conjunction with Chackbay Elementary School, emails a monthly newsletter to keep parents informed of upcoming events and other school issues. The newsletters are also available to read on the school’s web-page.
- PTC sends emails to parents with reminders and meeting minutes.
- Staff member’s e-mail addresses can be accessed through school web-page.
Volunteering: Parents are welcome in the school and their support and assistance are
Chackbay Elementary School promotes and encourages a welcoming atmosphere to foster parent involvement and volunteer participation.
- Chackbay Elementary School does not have policies that hinder parent involvement at school.
- The Parent Involvement Contact Person at the school encourages staff members to utilize the volunteers provided by PTC, which lists the interests and availability of volunteers.
- The information on the parent survey determines the frequency of each parent’s desired participation, and includes the option of volunteering just one time per year, or performing the work at home.
- The Parent Contact person ensures that parent participation is acknowledged.
- Volunteers are encouraged to attend a training session held at the beginning of each school year.
- Volunteers can sign in at the office, wear a name tag, and report to the area that they are helping or event they are attending.
Student Learning: Parents play an integral role in assisting student learning.
In order to promote parents’ efforts at Chackbay Elementary School, Parent Involvement meetings are scheduled and parents are provided up-dates/ reports on school business and an overview of:
- What student will be learning
- How students will be assessed
- What parents should expect for their child’s education
- How parents can assist and make a difference in their children’s education
Chackbay Elementary School schedules regular Parent Involvement meetings, such as:
- Meet and Greet Night before school starts
- Open House
- Fall Festival
- Accelerated Reader and Accelerated Math Night
- PTC Meetings
- PBIS monthly celebrations
- Other Parent Involvement meetings on a variety of topics to support the classroom, family, students, and home or community
At these meetings, parents receive a report of the state of the school, building test results, curriculum expectations and standards, how students are assessed, and information regarding how they can help children excel academically and socially.
School Decision Making and Advocacy: Parents are full partners in the decisions that
affect children and families.
Chackbay Elementary School includes the process for resolving parental concerns which is described in various newsletters during the school year. The process includes:
- How to define a problem
- Whom to approach first
- How to develop solutions
Collaborating with Community: Community resources are used to strengthen schools,
families and student learning.
Community resources strengthen school programs, family practices and student learning. To capitalize on community resources, Chackbay Elementary School:
- Encourages and supports the Parent Teacher Club, which fosters parental and community involvement at Chackbay Elementary School.
- PTC leaders’ input is sought and utilized in appropriate decisions affecting students and families.
- Solicits community support and assistance with academic programming, extra curricula activities, fund raisers, and etc.
Part III: School-Parent Compact
As a component of the school-level parental involvement plan, each school will jointly develop, with parents for all children served under this part, a school-parent compact that outlines how parents, the entire school staff, and students will share the responsibility for improved student academic achievement.
This school Parental Involvement Plan has been developed jointly with, and in agreement with parents of students at Chackbay Elementary School, a Title I school, as evidenced by the list of parent participants below.
This plan was adopted by the school on August 26, 2016, and will be in effect for the 2016-2017 school year. A complete Summary of this plan will be available to ALL parents at Chackbay Elementary School, a Title I school, in the Fall. The entire detail plan will be on the school website at Chackbay Elementary School website and will be available in the school office.
________Robby Lee________________________ ________8-26-16______________
____Allison Passman________________________ _______8-26-16_______________
School Level PI Contact Date
_________Raquel Boudreaux________________ _________8-26-16______________
School Improvement Plan Parent Representative Date